Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Georgia Car Accident Statistics
The city of Atlanta alone has six major interstates, thousands of small city streets, and has hundreds of people everyday just visiting for travel purposes. With such heavy traffic, there are sure to be dozens of accidents per day in Georgia. The statistics prove how dangerous the streets of Atlanta and surrounding areas are. Even those most prone to follow traffic laws will occasionally have an accident. In all honesty, it is impossible to control all the elements while you are driving. Accidents happen but sometimes it is the negligence of others that get us in vehicle collisions.
According to the NHTSA, Georgia has some of the most dangerous roads in the United States. In fact, in 2017, Georgia was the 7th highest state for fatalities occurring in auto accidents. Many of these fatal accidents could have been prevented.
Georgians are always aware of the risk that driving specifically in and around Atlanta brings; however, most aren’t even aware of the supporting data. The biggest causes of accidents in Georgia are speeding, drunk driving, and texting or calling while driving.
If that isn’t enough to convince you of the seriousness of the situation then have a look at these statistics:
- 18 percent of fatal auto accidents involved speed in 2011.
- That same year 23 percent of all auto accidents involved cellphones
- Over one million crashes nationwide per year involving cell phones
- Over half of people admit to using cell phones while driving
- There were 290,000 injuries in 2015 resulting from drunk driving in 2015
- Also in 2015, over 10,000 people died due to drunk driving
- In 2017, almost 30% of all traffic fatalities are due to drunk driving
2013 Vehicle Accident Statistics
- 1,180 deaths on the Georgian roads
- I-285 ranked the deadliest road in the United States
- Fulton County had 85 fatalities from car accidents
- Over 50,000 accidents in Fulton County alone
2014 Vehicle Accident Statistics
- 1,164 fatalities on the Georgian roads
- 77 deaths from car accidents in Fulton County alone
- A total of 55,833 car accidents in Fulton County
- Alcohol and speeding were the leading causes of crash fatalities
Breaking down the Statistics
In Fulton County there are on average over 4,000 vehicle accidents per month. This is around 150 crashes every single day or 6 accidents per hour. There are no signs of the problem fixing itself in the future either. In more recent years the number of deaths due to car accidents in Fulton County have increased. In 2017, there were 115 fatalities reported coming out of just Fulton County. On average, there is a fatality due to car accident every 3 days in and around Atlanta.
A State-Wide Problem
This outrageous number of car accidents isn’t merely limited to Atlanta and Fulton County. The entire State of Georgia is suffering from a high rate of car accidents. In 2018, 39 percent of deadly car crashes occurred on rural roads, proving that the problem isn’t confined to city limits.
Get Help After a Georgia Auto Accident
No matter where you drive, you may be subject to a serious car crash resulting in injury. Being injured due to negligence of another driver is not a walk in the park. You will need a team of professionals on your side to help you understand your legal rights and help you pursue justice.